People behind the department
There are 4 divisions in the Department of Tech in Agate:
- Programmer (Game Programmer, System Programmer, Fullstack Programmer, etc)
Their role for a Programmer is to develop the game by implementing concepts into actual playable game.
- Engineer (DevOps Engineer, Data Engineer, QA Engineer, etc)
To be an Engineer, one need to make sure the developed game is stable and to ensuree the technology pipeline is efficient and well improved.
- Tech Management (Head of Technology, Technical Director, Tech Coordinator, etc)
The role of this level is to push technological boundaries and accelerating growth of all crew.
- Research (Research Direcctor, Lead Researcher, Tech Researcher, etc)
Their call is to explore new technology to find the best implementation for company standard.
Overall, everyone in the Tech Department are required to provide technological capability to orchestrate game component and infrastructure, also to bring the game design to life. Some targets they need to accomplish are ensuring the company possesses the best possible techonology, improving tech talents to become world-class developer, and implementing the best tech-advancement.
In order to develop and bring the game into life, people in the Tech Department are required to master such essential skills, from coding to design. Their call is also to maintain the game, avoiding any bugs and glitches.
Most fundamental skills:
- Logic & problem solving
- General programming
More important skills:
- Verbal & written communication
- Basic leadership
Tools used by a Game Programmer
Unity, PhaserJS, Unreal, Bablon (Game Engine)
Game Engine has a library of programs to help the game development including visual and sound design.
Photo fusion, Photon Quantum (Multiplayer Engine)
Multiplayer engine is used bby developper to create a multiplayer environment.
Tools used by Back-end Developer
Dotnet, C# (Backend Framework)
Dotnet provide tools and libraries to build compactible app or platform from desktop to mobile. A Backend Developer needs to master C# programming language to use Dotnet.
Rediss, MongoDB, Postgresql (Database)
Programmer uses database to organize a colleection of structured information that is electronically stored in a computer system.
Tools used by Front-end Developer
ReactJS, NextJS (Web Framework)
This application is used by a front-end develper to crate a game user interface like menu arangement, heads-up displayy, etc.
Tools used by Development & Operations Programmer
This tool helps developer to manage application made up of many containers and deploy them in different environments (physical or virtual machine).
GCP, AWS, Azure (Cloud Server)
Cloud Server provides storage for assets and computing resources over the internet for users to play the game from their device.
Tools used by All Programmer
Git (Version control)
A free and open-source for distributed control system: tracking changes in any set of files, coordinating works among programmers, collaboratively develop source code.
Miro, Draw.io, Notion (brainstorming & documentation)
These are the tools where ideas are being brainstormed, crafted, documented and archived.
If you think you want to be a part of this long experience, here are some tips on how to enter and enjoy being in our tech dept by two of our crews:
Technical Director POV
As a Tech Director, we are obligied to ensure the project is well delivered without going directly into that project. Yes, that’s another challenge. We need to monitor the end-to-end process even from scratch and providing suggestion when it is needed.
- We are searching for those who are eager to learn.
- We need someone who can communicate well and collaborate.
- Knowledge is a power. The more you have, the more you are needed in our dept.
- Quality of your portfolio is what we will be looking at.
Lead Programmer POV
The best and most challenging of working in Agate is that you are not just developing a game, but you are contributing to the whole ecosystem. We are required to adapt and strive to become better and better in the industry.
- You need to have your own goal.
- Learn to master the basic tools, grasp the base theory by experimenting.
- Elevate your team and colleagues as much as possible.
To keep up to date:
- Be more proactive in approaching a discussion with people. Gain more knowledge.
- Keep progressing even if you are late behind.
- Follow channels that might be useful on social media like Instagram or YouTube or anything else.
Think you might enjoy being in our tech department? Head down to our vacancy list below and see if you match any of it!